Understanding through Discussion


Welcome! You are not logged in. [ Login ]
EvC Forum active members: 86 (8951 total)
477 online now:
DrJones*, GDR, Theodoric (3 members, 474 visitors)
Newest Member: Mikee
Post Volume: Total: 866,801 Year: 21,837/19,786 Month: 400/1,834 Week: 400/315 Day: 78/78 Hour: 2/7


Thread  Details

Email This Thread
Newer Topic | Older Topic
  
Author Topic:   Was there a worldwide flood?
Lysimachus
Member (Idle past 3527 days)
Posts: 380
Joined: 05-30-2004


Message 272 of 372 (510902)
06-04-2009 2:50 PM


Did you all know that over 70% of the earth is flooded right now? Yeah, just look from a shuttle, and you will see. To conclude that the remaining 30% land was not also covered by water is a 3/10ths chance. So that leaves 7/10ths probability that the earth was once completely covered. :D Hah! Bet you never thought of that one! ;)

Edited by Lysimachus, : No reason given.


Replies to this message:
 Message 273 by Son, posted 06-04-2009 3:08 PM Lysimachus has responded

Lysimachus
Member (Idle past 3527 days)
Posts: 380
Joined: 05-30-2004


Message 274 of 372 (510912)
06-04-2009 4:28 PM
Reply to: Message 273 by Son
06-04-2009 3:08 PM


quote:

While what you said was complete nonsense, I think I can show you why (assuming you weren't being sarcastic). For a complete flood, you would need the highest mountain to be covered by water. If this mountain's height was 3000M, with your reasoning, it would have 70% chance of being flooded. But the chances would be the same if the mountain was 10000M high. You get such an absurd result because you can't use probability this way.
It would be like saying that a room that has a pool covering 50% of its surface has 50% chance of being flooded (by what?).

That could pose a problem, I suppose. I've read arguments from creationists against this. Some have proposed that there was supernatural involved.

But let's assume you are correct. Would it be logical to conclude that these mountains were that high prior to the flood? Or that perhaps these mountains were created either after the flood, or as a result of the seismic upheavel caused by the flood?

In addition to this, let us not fail to recognize the fact that sea fossils have been found on the peaks of very high mountains. It is my theory that these mountains were pushed up after the flood, since the earth was still suffering seismic after-shocks.

Edited by Lysimachus, : No reason given.

Edited by Lysimachus, : No reason given.


This message is a reply to:
 Message 273 by Son, posted 06-04-2009 3:08 PM Son has responded

Replies to this message:
 Message 275 by Theodoric, posted 06-04-2009 4:30 PM Lysimachus has responded
 Message 280 by Son, posted 06-05-2009 12:17 AM Lysimachus has not yet responded

Lysimachus
Member (Idle past 3527 days)
Posts: 380
Joined: 05-30-2004


Message 276 of 372 (510914)
06-04-2009 4:44 PM
Reply to: Message 275 by Theodoric
06-04-2009 4:30 PM


quote:
Before addressing this, the issue of whether there was a flood needs to be addressed. Can you provide any evidence of such a phenomenon?

Not necessarily. The only question posed is, "were these mountains always there?" So regardless of whether a flood was in the picture or not matters little. Remember, the argument is that too much water would have been needed to cover these mountain peaks. I simply do not subscribe to the idea that the mountains were that high prior to the flood. And for good measure, mountains and islands are even being born today.

Could our oceans of today (that cover the earth) simply be the "left-overs" of the flood? Did the rest of the water partly vaporize and also settle into the earth as we know it?


This message is a reply to:
 Message 275 by Theodoric, posted 06-04-2009 4:30 PM Theodoric has responded

Replies to this message:
 Message 277 by Theodoric, posted 06-04-2009 5:11 PM Lysimachus has not yet responded
 Message 278 by Coyote, posted 06-04-2009 5:15 PM Lysimachus has not yet responded
 Message 279 by RAZD, posted 06-04-2009 7:18 PM Lysimachus has not yet responded

Newer Topic | Older Topic
Jump to:


Copyright 2001-2018 by EvC Forum, All Rights Reserved

™ Version 4.0 Beta
Innovative software from Qwixotic © 2019