In order to private message another user, must I first click on the "Messaging" link near the top, and then type in their user name?
This will never do, not with how lazy I am...
A few suggestions you've likely already thought about:
1. I think that someone will most likely think of private-messaging another member after reading a post of theirs. Perhaps you could create a link for sending a new private message to the authour of each post?
2. A link to send someone a private message when viewing their profile page would also be nice.
3. When creating a new private message, it would be crazy-cool if the "To", "CC" and "BCC" fields included an optional drop-down menu where you could pick user names from. This would help reduce any user-frustration from spelling other-user-names since there are many that use strange spelling or sometimes hard-to-see lettering). Or, along these lines but even cooler, would it be possible to create some sort of auto-completing field? Like how Google works now? That is... if I was to type in "S" it would list all names alphabetically starting with S:
S2n s3oo0ood saab93f ...
Then if I typed "St" it would list all names alphabetically starting with St:
St.Crispin Staccato Stagamancer ...
then if I typed "Sti" it would only list all names beginning like that:
(Which just happens to be only me)
That would be really cool. But perhaps not possible with the board software? If such auto-narrowing of the user name is not possible, maybe a drop down list would just be too crowded to be of any use. Maybe that's why there's not one there?
Maybe some sort of user-name error checking so that the sender of the private message is notified if they attempt to send a message to a user that does not exist?
All in all, thanks very much for giving me my inch. Now I'm going to hound you with requests until I get my mile. And remember, I'm lazy And I have a grossly over-inflated sense of entitlement. That's just how I roll. So lazy that I probably won't even finish th...
(I was told in kindergarten that I'm supposed to compliment something before I bring up some negative aspects... it's supposed to be polite... or something...)
Anyway, 2 tidbits of information you may or may not care about. Very minor, anyway:
1. I got a private message back on January 6th. I replied to it today, and used the "with quote" function. The function worked great, except the date at the top of the quote was today's date (the date I was replying). I think it should really be the date of whenever the original message was sent, no? Since that is what's being quoted...
For example (copied from the private message itself):
quote: My new message text here (the reply I made).
(I've edited the member link to go to my profile to keep the actual message sender private. It was, afterall, a private message)
The "01-20-2010 7:43 AM" is when I replied to the original message. Or, it may be when I opened it to read it the first time... The original message was actually sent to me on January 6th. You can see it, if you can abuse your admin-powers to see my private messaging inbox, the original message is still there (I have no problems with this, if it will help at all).
And, yes, I understand that it took me 2 weeks to notice I had a private message waiting for me Which leads me to my second point:
2. Is it possible to also provide email-notification of a new private message? I do understand that the "Messaging" link changes to "Messaging (X)" whenever you have X new messages at the top of the page... but by now you must know how incredibly lazy I am. On top of that, I'm also a bit touched-in-the-head and don't always read the entire page
In other news... thanks for the cool new Private Messaging feature, it really is a good feature.
(That compliment was not forced, unless my kindergarten-conditioning goes even deeper than I imagine...)
That was the original intention, obviously just a case of referencing the wrong variable. Easy to fix, thanks for catching this!
Yes. I'll add this to the enhancement list.
It also blinks every 10 seconds. Blinking is incredibly annoying to most people, that's why I chose a 10 second interval. Would a faster interval make it more noticeable without being annoying?
I agree with the annoying-blinking thing. No, I don't think a faster blinking interval would become more-noticeable while staying not-annoying. If you are indeed implementing an email notification for it... I would recommend getting rid of the blinking all together.
Laziness is the mother of invention.
Yes sir. Some of the time I'm just playing "innocent stupid user" to do my part in helping you develop your software for "the public" (who generally think they're innocent and not stupid, but are wrong on both counts) The rest of the time, I really am lazy... will you be implementing a feature that will separate my whites from my colours for the laundry?
First the bad news. About name completion, not yet. I don't know when I'll get to it. Sorry.
I shall cry myself to sleep for endless nights as a sculptor with broken hands.
Sometime I'm a dramatic lazy ass
But now some good news. You can now select names from your contact lists into the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" boxes. Anyone you've ever sent a message to is already in your "All Contacts" list. If you click on the "To" or "Cc" or "Bcc" links it will bring up a box with all the names from your "All Contacts" list. Just click on the names and they're added to the list of names already in the input box.
Fucking. Eh. That's how we say it up in Canada-land.
All in all, thanks for all the cool features. The basic form of the EvC forum software is already head-and-shoulders above any other I've seen. All these extra goodies are just gravy. Swimmin' in gravy!! ...that sounded better in my head.